Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Transition is So Weird

So yesterday was my birthday! It was a nice day and relatively low-key which was nice after our wonderful but busy weekend. I woke up to a bunch of fun prizes and cards in the morning, we got pedicures, I took a nap with Bree in the afternoon, got a lot of beautiful flowers, and didn't cook dinner. The day started off gloomy and rainy, but the sun came out in the afternoon and it was lovely.

A couple of my very good military-life friends arranged our pedicures and as we were sitting there talking about the one husband coming home from combat in nine days, and how the other husband just so happens to be in the company taking over for the first husband and how maybe he'll come home early because things are wrapping up, and homecoming outfits and summer schedules and Skype and humvees and Tricare....it hit me. That used to be me. It's not my life now, and it is not my life in the future.

Being a military wife is something I used to do...now I'm just a regular wife, and it feels like a demotion. I guess that's how it should be, but it's weird. On a day when I just found out a Marine from my hometown (this might be the first time I've EVER used that word in relation to Lawton, OK) lost his life to an IED in Afghanistan, I'm more than willing to hand over my military wife title in order to have my husband home. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining about our choice. It's just a big change for us, and it's...weird.


No comments: