Monday, November 07, 2011

Crazy Daisy!

Being a Daisy Girl Scout leader is pretty much the funnest thing ever. I get to plan amazing trips, do fun crafts, sing goofy songs and hike in the woods, like EVERY week with a bunch of super cool kids. Now, if I can somehow finagle my way out of being cookie mom...

Anyway, last weekend a couple of us moms took some of our girls a couple of hours away to a state park event. The girls had a blast. See below, my little goofball with a mouthful of lunch. =)
After we played some games outside, the girls came inside to create their own carniverous plants out of totally random recycled materials. It took us a few minutes to get started...I mean, what would YOU do if someone handed you a stack of plastic cups, a glue stick and some construction paper? We just stared at it for a minute and then the girls started putting things together. This is Carly's final product - she made the spiky things of a Venus Fly Trap out of pipe cleaners. Impressive, right? =)  Paul and I are sitting here staring at these photos wondering why our LITTLE girl looks so BIG.

I got to spend about six hours on Sunday putting together our schedule until April. So fun! Also very eye-opening....teachers do this for EVERY DAY for MULTIPLE SUBJECTS. That's amazing. Speaking of teachers, our parent-teacher conference went well today. Bree whined basically the entire time, which was not so nice, but I did learn why Carly was placed in her particular reading group and how to help her progress. It's all about recall and retention, and her teacher gave me some great suggestions about questions to ask, about the main characters, how Carly thinks they're feeling, whether she would have changed the end of the story, etc. I guess it's a good thing our girl likes answering lots of questions. =)

No comments: