Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spring Break!!! Thursday - Port Discovery

So originally I was going to be Cool Mom and let Carly decide between going to this museum in Baltimore or going to see Rio and then going roller skating...right up until the moment my mom reminded me that movies and roller skating are in North Carolina and big-city kid museums are NOT. Of course I heard about the darn roller skating off and on throughout the day, but most of the time, Carly was distracted by the overwhelming coolness of this place.
***
We started in the art studio. We painted for a while then Bree found the little carpeted area with books. I just ordered this one. And had to stop myself because there were the coolest books tucked away everywhere. You will see Miss Independent setting herself up at her own table. ALSO the rad color leaves? I'll try to limit my exclamation points and caps, but I'm not making any promises. =)
Then on to the three-story climbing tower in the middle of the atrium. There were several different ways to go, and we did all of them...lots of times.
You'll notice Bree had already scaled this crazy pipeworks thing. She was in love with all the stuff to climb and not being told to get down or stop. =)
The tunnel of TERROR!!! Oh my WORD. This thing was suspended by the orange rings, three stories up. You can see that it's not the newest...plus it swayed a little...I was a little traumatized.
Then it was on to the water room. I don't know when I figured out how to just relax on kid outings and not rush from place to place, but it's definitely WAY better this way. I timed us - we spent an hour in here. There were the standard water table exhibits, the giant bubble thing and window washing, then this big area where kids could make fountains! Bree spent most of her time in there getting completely soaked and Carly built some cool water works!

The Oasis...oh my word. It was about the same size as the Baton Rouge room but was geared toward younger kids. It was the perfect break from the hundreds of loud crazy school groups. See the books? I know, right? In love. We spent another good hour (at least) in here, painting rocks with water, building with blocks, reading book after book, meeting new friends...it was so cool.
Then, there was karaoke (below) and you can BET that the girls will be getting some kind of that for their birthdays. Four and a half hours after we got there (a new record), we went to claim our art from the studio and we were off.
(Bree had a complete change of outfit, except socks, due to the water room)
Then, an early dinner at some random tex-mex place across from the museum!
Shake it, shake it, shake it
We're taking this show on the road next month. =)

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Liz, you are just the best mom ever! Miss you & the girls so much! God bless you on your new adventures!!!