Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fun Shakers Project

Paul will be so happy to see that I finally did something with these glass spice jars I've been collecting over the last few months. Bree cooks in the play kitchen every day - she alternates between that, playing Pet Shops in the dollhouse and destroying stuff. =) A while back I saw her shaking a maraca over the stove "making dinner" and got this idea. SO fun! We filled each jar with dry goods I had in the pantry - rice, lentils (2 jars of that because nobody likes it), white beans, quinoa and a spice mix nobody likes - they each make a different sound and the lids are hot-glued on (see below for a how-to). Bree LOVES her fun new spices!

Learn from my mistakes!!! The hot glue needs to go in the top corners of the lid so you can screw it all the way on, unlike the jar on the right. For flip-top lids, first glue the whole lid on and then flip open the cap and apply the glue to the very top part and close. I used hot glue, but you could use gorilla glue, SuperGlue or epoxy if you're really serious. =)

No comments: