Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fingers Crossed

Yesterday about 4am Carly woke up screaming with ear pain. Paul did his best to soothe her but by about 5am, I decided she needed to be seen and since he'd been up with her for the past three hours, I took her in to the Stafford ER.

We got pulled over on base on the way there but the Marine and Police Officer let me go after they ran my license because Carly was yelling in the backseat and I told them where I was going. We were seen right away and out of there in half an hour. Carly got a nice dose of Lortab (narcotic pain reliever) and while we were waiting for her prescription to be filled at CVS, we had breakfast at one of the Panera Bread restaurants that seem to be everywhere. Panera Bread and Target, they're all over, like Popeye's Chicken and Wal-Mart in Baton Rouge. =) Every exit. I'm not complaining!

Anyway, as we were driving home, Carly, stoned out of her mind on the Lortab, was singing me some songs about how much she loves our house and about horses who climb trees. I was laughing too hard to pay attention to the speed limit and got pulled over on base AGAIN. It was a different police officer but I guess once he called in my license the first kids decided they'd come over and see what was going on. They all stood around my window looking intimidating while Carly kept singing. It was really hard to keep a straight face and look serious, especially when the Marine who had pulled me over two hours earlier was like, "I thought you were going to the hospital, ma'am," in this sarcastic voice. I showed him the paperwork but I couldn't look at him because he was trying to sound really tough and he looked like he should be getting ready to catch the bus for sixth grade.

So anyway, Carly took a great nap and we had friends over at 3. All told there were nine kids, four moms and three dads. It was loud and totally fun. Paul grilled yummy chicken, Bubba burgers and Hebrew National dogs. It all smelled really good but I'd eaten about eight pounds of our neighbor Tera's cheesy chicken buffalo dip or whatever it was and I'm still not hungry. Carly was kind of a mess so we'll see how she does this morning. Wish us luck! I'm hoping it goes well. =)

No comments: