Friday, August 27, 2010

So What's For Dinner?

I understand and appreciate the fact that our being able to sit down for dinner together more or less every night is a total novelty, not only for our family but for busy families in general. SO, since we have a year (It's nine months, Liz!), of being able to do that on a fairly regular basis, I'm making a point of it. Photos help keep me honest. =)
***
SO, this was Sunday. Paul and I had eaten a late lunch so we had salad. The girls had veggie bowties and byu-byus.
Monday: Oh my word, Erin Stephens is to take the credit for that AH-MAZING pork shoulder roast because I got the recipe out of the Green Kitchen cookbook she gave me for my birthday. It took three days to make (one to season, one to cook and you're supposed to eat it the third day) and holy moly was it worth it. The parsley/garlic/lemon zest stuff they said to put with it was fabulous...anyway, total success. Oh YEAH and the pork was pastured. Got it in Fredericksburg for some ridiculously reasonable price....great way to start off the week! We also had more salad, sauteed spinach and cheese toast in case the kids had a hard time w/ the roast. Which they didn't because it was awesome. =)
Tuesday we had chorizo (Locak AND pastured again! Makes me happy) sausage and peppers with steamed broccoli and black beans for the girls in case the sausage was too hot for them. It was, and they loved the beans. They ate it all! Yay, folate!
Wednesday I baked tilapia and salmon with herbs. It was alright. The salad had some of the leftover parsley stuff from the roast which was super and then we had kale chips which are my new favorite. SO GOOD. Expect to see these OFTEN. Not pictured are the sweet potato waffle fries I bought as a total impulse buy on my Whole Foods vitamin run...they weren't ready yet.
Which brings us to Thursday. The meatballs aren't pictured because they just do NOT photograph well. I cooked them all day in the sauce (shown). Bree ate about twelve of the meatballs, so the colorful pasta shells with the pesto went basically untouched. With yummy zucchini with tomatoes and garlic. Carly was at her friend's house making pizzas and playing superstar. =)
So that was Week One, and I feel it went pretty well. We've gotten a decent amount of veggies in and managed to avoid (for THIS week) classic 'kid food' like corn dogs and chicken nuggets. Not that there's anything necessarily THAT horrible about those kinds of things, it's mostly that Paul and I are eating it too and a hot dog wrapped in cornbread just doesn't sound that appetizing to either one of us. Our poor kids are just along for the ride. I guess it works out though because at family movie night tonight (after we eat up some yummy leftovers...) he and I will be sitting through a movie where cats and dogs are super spies that talk to one another on tiny little headsets...

4 comments:

McCoyFamily said...

You make me smile!!!! Love family meal time so cute:) What kind of camera are you sporting these days? Mine broke and yours seems to take great pics!!!! In 9 months your moving back here;)

Morgan said...

Care to share the pork recipe?

You are the only other person I know that gets as crazy excited as I do about pastured and local!

SLOW - Sustainable, Local, Organic and Whole. I try to have us eat this way as much as humanly possible.

Keep up the great stuff! I love pictures, and hearing how my family isn't so freaking weird.

BTW - we ate *crap* while we were on vacation and it literally put me down. By the time we got home, I was sick from head to toe. My digestive track took two weeks to get back to normal... no kidding.

Amy said...

Everything looks great! Love all the veggies you guys prepared.

Mo Fabulous said...

Goodness Girl! You need to start a food blog. Everything looks great. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the kale chips? I've tried it before and mine didn't turn out so good.