Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mommy's Meltdown

I know most of you are familiar with my, shall we say, issues with the quality of education Carly is (or is not) receiving at her school right now.

She came home from school with a piece of paper that had a large 2 printed on it. She had glued white packing peanuts along it. They were perfectly aligned, and I'm planning to do with same project with Bree this next week.

But it brings up all sorts of issues. For example, were there actually children in her classroom for whom THAT was appropriate work? And would it be fair to them to be talking about the number line and doing addition and subtraction and learning about place values? Maybe not, but their education is not my responsibility. I don't think that Carly should have to sit around and be bored because some random kids' parents didn't teach him or her the alphabet, or colors, or numbers or that ostriches are NOT "from the zoo." Come on people.

I don't know what the solution will be but we're going to start on Monday with my visit to Carly's principal and my visit to a local private school. Problem solving, it's what I do! =) Either way, we'll make something work!

No comments: