Thursday, August 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes

1) Auntie K leaves tomorrow! We will all be very sad to see her go, but we are so happy that we've had two entire weeks with her here! It went by SO FAST!!!

2) There are so many flies here, you'd think you were in Amityville or something. It's insane. What's so funny is how murderously ANGRY they make Paul. He sprays them with this flying insect spray that does not work at ALL and then he jumps around the room trying to clap them between his hands, then he smacks them and squishes them into the carpet, cursing the whole time. But it's so gross. When I was cleaning out the car there were at least fifty of those nasty creatures in my car. YUCK!

3) I'm doing the book fair at Carly's school! I don't know exactly what they've done in the past, but I have lots of big ideas and I'm just excited because there is a volunteer coordinator to handle THAT part and a treasurer to handle THAT part, so basically I get to come up with stuff and be around the school a lot for the third week in September. There's a lot more to it than that, but I keep laughing because so many people signed up to help but no one wanted to run the thing, and I'm just really confused about why anyone wouldn't want to be in charge. Baffling, but actually pretty convenient for me, to be honest.

4) Oh MY word, I need to figure out how to navigate my new very active social life. Scheduling isn't really a problem, it's just all the FOOD. We moved in what, two and a half weeks ago? I've been to three coffee-and-donuts playdates with another one coming up tomorrow, two birthday parties with one coming up Saturday, a neighborhood barbecue with a Family Barbecue for Paul's work coming up Saturday and book club next week...I'm not at ALL complaining about our fun busyness, just my out-of-practice self control and it's correlate, my not-fitting clothing. =)

5) Volunteering is super awesome and I think everyone should do it. I won't tell you the specifics of the people I have the privilege of helping, but I can tell you that it feels amazing to help a wounded warrior fix the car or keep the lights on or whatever.

6) Our computer isn't doing very well. Fortunately for us (and my bank account), Paul has a tech wizard in his conference group who has offered to fix up our busted old laptop for free. The guy at Best Buy laughed at me last night when he saw that the corner of the case is cracked, that the USB ports don't all work, that the CD-ROM reader (or whatever it's called) doesn't work....and then because we have all these big nasty viruses the scan that normally takes 15 minutes took two hours. THANK GOODNESS the girls were safe at home having a disco party because they would have taken that store a-p-a-r-t. So, we'll see. Either you'll hear from me in a couple of days and I'll be happy because I will have a chance to actually save up for the computer we want or I will be crying because we had to buy a new one right now.

7) I'm out of stuff but going to bed anyway! =)

No comments: