Friday, February 06, 2015

Yikes! And Thoughts on a Tribe

I missed a WHOLE MONTH!

Ack, sorry! I'll fix it tomorrow.

I don't have a photo to show it, but my experience this first month of 2015 is that my idea of a friend has been a little warped because of the folks I have met and gotten to know throughout my life. I expect someone with the title of friend to act like my sisterfriends from our past life...which, as I'm learning, is not something that happens regularly in the outside world. It's a little sad for me because it never feels good to be left out, no matter how balanced and grounded you are, but it's a little sad for these ladies that I'm around all the time because my word, they are missing out.

That sounds funny, but I'm going to leave it because it's kind of true! I'm a badass friend....but what I meant was having those close, supportive, loving, fun relationships is so necessary to being a balanced human person. Maybe that explains the neuroticism that is such a stereotype of folks up here? Because they don't get to experience the pure joy of a relationship that's just real and honest and GOOD. It's a tribe...a very geographically diverse crowd, yes, zero of them live near me, but hey that's what Facebook and texting are for, right?

Nonserious examples of how these folks act: My one friend and I carried on a conversation about all the ways to take excellent selfies at the OBGYN. That's hilarious. Another friend sent me a video of her seven year old son's half of what was apparently an epic rap battle on the playground. Another friend texted me out of the blue to continue our thorough exegesis of the Man in the Yellow Hat's private life. I'm so incredibly grateful that I have these weirdos in my life - interesting, smart, caring, funny people who don't look at me funny when I try to talk about something that runs deeper than softball schedules or whether or not to protest testing.

Anyway, this is a little bit a blog about nothing, but it's what I've been thinking about this past month. I need a tribe close by, and it's my goal for the next few months to go out and actively seek them, since they're clearly not waiting in the carpool pickup line. =)


No comments: