Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Bunch of Stuff

So dinner last night. We had salad, butternut squash soup and herby roasted chicken, which is not pictured here because I STILL cannot manage to get everything out at the same time. Haha, so the butternut squash soup, which I happen to think is really great, did not go over so well with my family. I got a variety of rections, from:
"No thanks, babe." to
"Um, it's not my favorite" to
"Dat GWOSE."
Also, please try and manage your extreme jealousy over my fancy soup tureen. Yes, that is a (chipped) pyrex measuring cup. Whatever! It works. As does the swanky trivet (aka a folded up dishcloth...). Haha. I love Carly's expression. Clearly she is OVERJOYED about eating beets on the salad (again) and having soup. =)
Since nobody wanted the first course, they were all STARVING by the time the chicken was finally ready and Paul couldn't wait a minute for a photo. So use your imagination. I used an entire stick of butter (YUM!) mixed up with 3/4 cup of mixed garlic and herbs with a tiny bit of sea salt and black pepper. That all went in the cavity and under the skin so the bird was crispy and delicious. My little family ate almost all of that 4lb bird.
Okay and THEN, Carly proceeded to tell us that you get bad dreams from a bad man who gets into your heart and your brain and gives you nightmares. She couldn't remember her name, but she was insistent. It took me and Paul a better part of the meal to get her to stop arguing about it, but that doesn't mean she actually believed us when we told her over and over that nightmares and dreams come from your imagination, not from people who get inside your body. She said her teachers told her that, which I can't imagine, but I asked the teachers about it anyway. I'll be interested to see what they say, and I'm just hoping and praying that they didn't actually say anything like that and she picked it up from something convoluted her friends told her on the playground. We'll see! She's just so literal and so impressionable at this age.
***
And now...a song:

4 comments:

Kim said...

Carly's voice is amazing - so sweet and innocent - I LOVE her singing that song!

Sylvia - Mommy said...

Wow Carly is REALLy good!! I just showed my mom this video, I always end up showing her your blog b/c the girls are so cute. I also showed her the old christmas videos and she said you guys are SUCH good parents. I agree!!!! I hope I can do as well!

Unknown said...

Well Done Carly! -Uncle Dan & Aunt Nadiah

Kalyn said...

I've been meaning to comment for a while- sorry.

LOVE her little voice. GOD I LOVE HER. :)