Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Busy Bees

We went to the dentist yesterday and everything looks great. Carly is on strict instructions to stop sucking her thumb, though, so if you see or talk to her be sure to let her know the dentist told you that big girls don't suck their thumbs. It was really funny because Carly told the dentist that she (Carly) HAS to suck her thumb because "my mommy told me to and I have to do what my mommy says!" I wish it worked that easily when it's time to clean up the toys!

Anyway, the dentist said she'd talk to me, and when Carly showed up in my exam room with all of her swag, a lei, two (Barbie!!!) toothbrushes, a tic-tac-toe game, floss, someone's pen and exam gloves on....she was all "oh man!" when she saw the dentist in there. We all told her that big girls don't suck their thumbs and then a random nurse walking down the hall popped her head in the door and said the same thing. I hope this won't be as hard as I think it might....and to think I was so excited that Carly could "self-soothe" and we didn't need a paci. Oh well, if it's not one thing, it's another.

We have lots of fun plans this week - we're seeing friends every single day, so hopefully we'll get some cute photos to share. Carly had the fit of her life on Monday at Barnes & Noble, with kicking and lots and lots of screaming. We ended up having to go into the bathroom, where it is really echoey, so I'm sure everyone was loving being blessed by her tantrum. When we finally came out, Carly was apologizing to everyone and she even asked one grouchy guy if she was "asturbing" him and then she said, "It's okay because I'm done now." My blood pressure was still way too high for me to enjoy that, and he was just too unhappy to smile or anything. Poor little Carly - but I really do hope we were able to concentrate the drama into that one half an hour. We'll see!!!

Okay! We're really looking forward to Carly's birthday party on Tuesday after we celebrate Father's Day on Sunday. Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Steph said...

my nephew was a BIG time thumb sucker! we use to try to get him to stop doing it by telling him big boys don't suck their thumbs, but sadly, it didn't work! he has FINALLY stopped - took lots of work on my sister's part! when they moved to germany, we told him kids in germany think thumb sucking is silly - he didn't care. then when they moved to ca we told him that boys out in ca think that thumb sucking is for little boys - he didn't care. he kept telling us he would stop when he was 4, then it was when he was 5...he always had something to come back at us with. But - he did finally stop! good luck with that - i hope carly isn't as big of a challenge with it as jack was for my sister! my sister learned her lesson though - because nephew #2 (nick) - got a paci when he was a baby because she could actually take it away from him and make him leave it in his crib...because "big boys don't use pacis when they are playing"! good luck!!! :) oh - does carly say there is a "flavor" to her thumb?? jack use to say his thumb tasted like strawberries! ha!!! :)

Stacy said...

I had no idea Carly sucked her thumb! I hope she does well stopping!

McCoyFamily said...

OMG I can't believe Carly is gonna be 4 already! :0

DrNic said...

FYI- I usually tell kids that are over 3 that they can only suck their thumb in bed - it's a great way to start breaking them of the habit, but still gives them that comfort. Plus, it usually comes out once they are asleep, so you're looking at, what, 10-15 minutes of thumb-sucking? Just in case it's too hard to completely quit cold turkey! Because Carly is WAY too active to want to spend all day in bed just so she can suck her thumb.