Friday, April 22, 2011

Bring on the Bunnies!!!

We spent all morning on the couch, looking up recipes for Easter and finalizing the menu (me), doing homework (Carly) and coloring and participating in general destruction and mayhem (Bree). We listened to Pandora, watched the rain falling and snuggled under blankets...it was SO wonderful! I don't know about you but I do not at all like getting out in chilly rain, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to indulge my "I wish I coulds" this morning, by doing exactly the thing I always wish I could be doing on a cold drizzly morning.
***
At about 11, we decided to start the day with lunch and actually getting dressed. =) Carly helped me write up a list for the rest of our afternoon and it is as follows...the color commentary is all her doing, and pretty accurately represents how we all feel about the last item on the list. This girl has given me a LOT of proud moments this week, and I have to say that her enthusiasm is in the top 5 at least!!!
Because the girls did SO well while we were at Wegman's battling the crowds and the large amount of stocking going on - I'm assuming it's in preparation for tomorrow which is sure to be out of control there - I let them open the big happy boxes that were waiting from Uncle Pete and Aunt Amanda. Bree immediately put on EVERYTHING and found one of Carly's old nightgowns because the purple matched. Headband, clip (both hidden), hat, necklaces, bracelet, Dora chapstick...carrying both bags...my girl. It's not all or nothing with Bree, it's all or ALL-AND-THEN-SOME.
The sign that now hangs on Carly's door. Paul will be happy to see this, especially given that Carly collects marriage proposals like most kindergarten girls collect Barbies. I did make her erase the part about Bree even though I was totally impressed with the correct spelling of "either" and the politeness with which she dismissed the boys from her presence. =)  Notice what's left of her manicure? I think it's genetic. I got clear polish for that very reason!

We're so excited for Easter! As soon as this is done, we're going to get started on our prep. Yay! That means dyeing more eggs (woop!) and actually finally putting out some decorations. Our menu is as follows:

Maple-glazed cured ham
Pea and Mint salad
Zucchinis and tomatoes
Scalloped Yukon Gold potatoes with chives
Buttermilk biscuits
Coconut-key lime pie
Flourless chocolate torte
Mint-Lemon Iced Tea
Raspberry Lemonade

It sounds like such a lot, but each dish is small and we're having guests. I guess two desserts is overkill, but to be honest with you, the key lime pie seems like something that should wait until June....but I love it...and I had gluten-free graham crackers that needed to be used. =) That's my excuse anyway. We're also making Peeps. Hahaha so maybe I should stop typing and get to work!!!

Note: there was a beautiful musical service today at church but due to Carly's beforementioned take on Easter this year, I am giving my own heart a break and not exposing her to more of the Stations of the Cross. She 'gets it' enough, and now I completely understand how churchy people can rationalize the whole eggs-and-bunnies thing. Easter is serious business and it's okay for her to get it in small doses!

No comments: